About Justice Protik Prakash Banerjee
The Hon’ble Justice Protik Prakash Banerjee (as his Lordship then was),was a role model to many. Apart from being one of the most brilliant legal minds ever to practice in the High Court at Calcutta, he was a mentor and an inspiration to many all over India. During his time as a practicing lawyer in the High Court at Calcutta he was awarded with the Most Outstanding Emerging Lawyer Award by the Indian Law Institute, West Bengal State Unit in 2009. His pleasure was drafting and appearing in cases representing the ostensibly weaker side. He was the first Advocate in India to have won a Judgment in favor of his client that an arbitrator under the Arbitration and Conciliation Act 1996 is amenable to jurisdiction under Article 227 of the Constitution of India. He was retained as Junior, the Standing Counsel of the State of West Bengal from June 9, 2011 until the demitted office, declining the position of a Senior Government Advocate, on March 9, 2014. Interested in debate from school days, he continued the practice while at the Bar, and was awarded the Best Speaker Award twice in the Annual Debates of the Indian Law Institute by its West Bengal Unit. He was appointed as a judge in the year 2017 and delivered several consequential judgments. For him “success” was how he contributed to the society. He survives among us by his life measured in memories. A beloved father, husband, friend and a teacher. Gone but never forgotten. A lifetime of laughter and love. Friend to many, stranger to none and our very own.
General Rules :
- A TOTAL NUMBER OF 16 TEAMS WILL TAKE PART IN THE COMPETITION
- UNLIKE ANY OTHER OFFICIAL DEBATE, THIS COMPETITION SHALL NOT HAVE ANY COMPLEX PROCEDURE. IT WILL COMMENCE IN A 1 VS 1 ( 1= ONE TEAM ) MANNER AND THE ENTIRE COMPETITION SHALL BE IN A KNOCK OUT FORMAT
- THERE SHALL BE TWO MEMBERS FROM EACH TEAM
- THERE SHALL BE ONE TEAM FROM EACH COLLEGE
- THERE WILL BE IN TOTAL 4 ROUNDS I.E THE GROUP STAGE, QUARTER FINALS , SEMI FINALS AND FINAL
- TOPICS SHALL BE DIFFERENT FOR ALL THE DIFFERENT FOUR ROUNDS.
- THERE SHALL BE TWO SIDES, THE SIDE SPEAKING FOR THE MOTION OR THE “ AFFIRMATIVE SIDE” AND THE SIDE SPEAKING AGAINST THE MOTION OR THE “ NEGATIVE SIDE “
- THE SIDE OF MOTION SHALL BE CHOSEN BY THE ORGANISERS AND CONVEYED TO THE PARTICIPANTS
- EACH TEAM SHALL BE GIVEN A TEAM CODE AND ALL THE TEAMS SHALL COMPETE THE WHOLE COMPETITION WITH THE TEAM CODE EXCEPT IN THE FINALS.
OTHER RULES SHALL BE CONVEYED TO THE PARTICIPATING TEAMS PERSONALLY
Competition Rules :
- TIME ALLOTTED TO EACH TEAM – 7 MIN SPEAKING TIME IN THE GROUP STAGE , 8 MIN SPEAKING TIME IN THE QUARTER FINALS , 10 MIN SPEAKING TIME IN THE SEMI FINALS AND 15 MIN SPEAKING TIME IN THE FINALS
- REBUTTAL TIME FOR QUARTER FINALS FOR EACH TEAM SHALL BE 5 MIN, FOR SEMI FINALS THE TIME SHALL BE INCREASED TO 8 MINS AND FOR FINAL THE REBUTTAL ROUND SHALL BE OF 10 MINS
- ONLY ONE SPEAKER SHALL BE ALLOWED FOR THE REBUTTAL ROUNDS.
- THERE WILL BE NO REBUTTAL ROUNDS IN THE GROUP STAGE
- THE DECISION OF THE JUDGES SHALL BE FULL AND FINAL.
- MARKSHEETS SHALL BE GIVEN TO THE PARTICIPANTS AFTER THE COMPETITION IS OVER
- ANY CHANGES MADE BY THE ORGANISERS SHALL BE CONVEYED TO THE PARTICIPANTS WITHIN CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF TIME
- THIS WHOLE COMPETITION SHALL TAKE PLACE IN AN ONLINE PLATFORM WHICH WILL BE DECLARED TO THE PARTCIPANTS LATER
- OTHER RULES SHALL BE CONVEYED TO THE PARTICIPANTS AFTER REGISTRATION AND CONFIRMATION OF TEAMS
Format of the competition
GROUP STAGE :
- AFFIRMATIVE SIDE SPEAKING TIME
- ASIDE SPEAKING TIME
QUARTER FINALS, SEMI FINALS, FINAL :
- AFFIRMATIVE SIDE SPEAKING TIME
- NEGATIVE SIDE SPEAKING TIME
- NEGATIVE SIDE 1ST REBUTTAL TIME
- AFFIRMATIVE SIDE REBUTTAL TIME
- NEGATIVE SIDE 2ND REBUTTAL TIME
( IN THE ABOVE ROUNDS, THE NEGATIVE SIDE SHALL GET THE 2ND REBUTTAL TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS FROM THE AFFIRMATIVE SIDE, THE TOTAL TIME SHALL REMAIN THE SAME , THE TOTAL TIME SHALL BE DISTRIBUTED INTO TWO ROUNDS AND THE DISTRIBUTION OF TIME SHALL BE UPON THE DISCRETION OF THE TEAM. IN THE 2ND ROUND OF REBUTTALS BY THE NEGATIVE SIDE NO QUESTIONS SHALL BE ALLOWED FOR THE AFFIRMATIVE SIDE. THIS ROUND SHALL SOLELY BELONG TO THEM TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THROWN AT THEM BY THE AFFIRMATIVE SIDE IN THEIR REBUTTAL ROUND. )
- Can the financial accounts of the political parties come under the purview of Right to Information Act, 2009?
- Fake News and the Media: Should the Media be penalized by contributing to the fake news?
- Should the people of Kashmir decide their future through a referendum or a plebiscite?
- This House Believes that Fundamental Rights of a Prisoner can’t be taken away in any circumstances.
This competition will comprise of total 16 teams and the competition will be carried on in a knock out manner. The dates of the competition has been given in the pdf below and other instructions are included in the PDF brochure. There shall be 2 participants in a team and one team per college. Cross college teams shall also be allowed to participate in which case , certificates shall not contain the name of the college of the participants.
There is no registration charge to fill up the form via the Google Doc link given below. The names submitted stall be considered at a first come first serve basis and only 16 teams shall be considered.
Registration starts at – 21/08/2020 from 8:00 PM And last date of registration is – 31/08/2020 within 11:59 PM.
(If any team cannot open their registration forms, please let us know so that we can send you the link via WhatsApp)
The teams accepted shall be notified via email or through a phone call from the organisers and as soon as the slots are filled no other team shall be considered any more.
It shall be a great opportunity for the participants. And we are proud to inform that the winning team and the runners up will get a chance for an internship under Lawyergenics, our official Knowledge Partner.
For further Information please contact :